Thursday, August 11, 2011

Attachment to Different Worlds (A Parenthesis)

Where you all ended up I could never have gone. It was painfully obvious even back then, even in the stupidity of youth. I didn't belong there. I was a blip, a seamless transition, something that must be passed through to press on. My time there was long and torturous. Was it necessary? Even the closest of companions ended up going where I could never follow. I can't help but think these parting of ways are the way things are predetermined to be for me. Your story is perfect, mine is bumpy. I'm not jealous, I don't envy monotony but there are times where it would seem as though things would run much smoother if I just snapped in to your grid. It wasn't supposed to happen and who am I to suggest it was?

Here I am now. Performing different roles in different shows. As soon as one is done I put on the costume for the next. Like a vapor. Here one moment and gone the next. Such a lonely existence this turns out to be. In some strange way I'm comforted by it. I hope that my performances on the stages of many were acceptable, possibly even admirable. When these characters look back on their stories they will see where I fit in during my cameo. They will see the parenthesis in their script and, hopefully, they will say, "This added much more enrichment to my story."

These are the wishes that I have. Hopefully, one day, the producer will see fit to give me my own show. Until then, I am perfectly content with lending my performances and, occasionally, writing scripts for these plays.  I've known and worked with many fine performers in my life. Some heroes and some villains. I can't figure out which one I am yet.


"All the world's a stage..." 


:::::Listen to "Pretend" by Lights:::::

No comments:

Post a Comment